ChristianAnswers.Net WebBible Encyclopedia
This expression occurs in the Old Testament only in Dan. 12:2 (Revised Version, “everlasting life”).
It occurs frequently in the New Testament (Matthew 7:14; 18:8,9; Luke 10:28; compare 18:18). It comprises the whole future of the redeemed (Luke 16:9), and is opposed to “eternal punishment” (Matthew 19:29; 25:46). It is the final reward and glory into which the children of God enter (1 Timothy 6:12, 19; Romans 6:22; Galatians 6:8; 1 Timothy 1:16; Romans 5:21); their Sabbath of rest (Hebrews 4:9; compare 12:22).
The newness of life which the believer derives from Christ (Romans 6:4) is the very essence of salvation, and hence the life of glory or the eternal life must also be theirs (Romans 6:8; 2 Tim. 2:11-12; Romans 5:17, 21; 8:30; Ephesians 2:5-6). It is the “gift of God in Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 6:23). The life the faithful have here on Earth (John 3:36; 5:24; 6:47, 53-58) is inseparably connected with the eternal life beyond, the endless life of the future, the happy future of the saints in heaven (Matthew 19:16, 29; 25:46).
- eternal death
- Are you going to Heaven? Find out now!
- Is there an actual place called “Hell”? Answer
- Why was Hell made? Answer
- Is there anyone in Hell today? Answer
- Will there literally be a burning fire in Hell? Answer
- What should you be willing to do to stay out of Hell? Answer
- How can a God of love send anybody to Hell? Answer
- What if I don’t believe in Hell? Answer
- The Good News—How to be saved from Hell. Answer
- What is “blasphemy”? Answer
- How do we know the Bible is true? Answer
Discover the good news that Jesus Christ offers
The Bible is the world’s best selling book of all time. But for most, it remains a mystery. Now, discover for yourself the overwhelming message of HOPE that God brings to man—presented chronologically from the foundation of the world to our own time. Watch it on-line, full-length motion picture.
Do you understand God’s Story? Take a multimedia journey through the Bible, from Creation to eternity. Hear and read an exciting summary of the Bible’s most important records, in chronological order.
JESUS CHRIST—Answers to frequently-asked-questions