Son of God
This term is used in various ways in the Bible.
JESUS CHRIST—It occurs 37 in the New Testament as the distinctive title of our Savior. He does not bear this title because of his miraculous birth, nor of his incarnation, His resurrection, or exaltation to the Father’s right hand. This is a title of nature and not of office. The sonship of Christ denotes his equality with the Father. To call Christ the Son of God is to assert his true and proper divinity.
The 2nd Person of the Trinity, because of his eternal relation to the 1st Person, is the Son of God. His divine nature is the Son of God, while his human nature is the Son of David (or Son of Man) (Romans 1:3-4.
Verses such as Galatians 4:4; John 1:1-14; 5:18-25 and 10:30-38 prove that Christ was the Son of God BEFORE His incarnation, and that his claim to this title is a claim of equality with God.
See: Trinity | Godhead | Virgin Birth | About Jesus
When used with reference to created beings, whether men or angels, this term is always in the plural (sons of God).
In the singular, it is always used of the 2nd Person of the Trinity, with the single exception of Luke 3:38, where it is used of the 1st Adam (directly created by God, not the offspring of man and woman). Jesus is called the 2nd Adam, in Scripture.
The plural, “sons of God,” is used (Genesis 6:2, 4) to denote descendants of Seth who were pious.
In Job 1:6; 38:7, this name is applied to the angels.
Hosea uses the phrase (Hosea 1:10) to designate the gracious relation in which men stand to God.
In the New Testament this phrase frequently denotes the relation into which we are brought to God by adoption (Romans 8:14, 19; 2 Corinthians 6:18; Galatians 4:5-6; Philippians 2:15; 1 John 3:1-2).
- What is the Trinity?
- What does the term “Son of man” mean?
- About Mary, mother of Jesus
- Trinity—How can one God be three persons? Answer
- Is Jesus Christ a man, or is he God? Answer
- If Jesus is God, how could he die? If Jesus died on the cross, then how can he be alive today? Answer
- Was Jesus God, manifest in human form? Answer
- Is Jesus Christ really God?
- If Jesus was the Son of God, why did He call Himself the Son of Man? Answer
- Character—Is Christ's character consistent with his high claims? Answer
- The Messiah—Was Jesus really him? Answer
- What messianic prophecies were fulfilled by Jesus Christ? Answer
- Answers to objections raised by some Jews
Article Version: September 14, 2017