ChristianAnswers.Net WebBible Encyclopedia
in the sense of soil or ground, the translation of the word adamah'
In Genesis 9:20 “husbandman” is literally “man of the ground or earth.”
Altars were to be built of earth (Ex. 20:24). Naaman asked for two mules’ burden of earth (2 Kings 5:17), under the superstitious notion that Jehovah, like the gods of the heathen, could be acceptably worshipped only on his own soil.
As the rendering of 'erets, it means the whole world (Genesis 1:2); the land as opposed to the sea (1:10). Erets also denotes a country (21:32); a plot of ground (23:15); the ground on which a man stands (33:3); the inhabitants of the Earth (6:1; 11:1); all the world except Israel (2 Chr. 13:9). In the New Testament “the earth” denotes the land of Judea (Matt. 23:35); also things carnal in contrast with things heavenly (John 3:31; Col. 3:1, 2).
- According to Evolutionists, what is the age of the Earth and universe? Answer
- OLD AGE METHODS—What evidences are used to support the idea of a multiple billions of years old Earth? Answer
- YOUNG EARTH—What are some of the evidences for a young Earth? Answer
- RADIOACTIVE AGE ESTIMATION METHODS—Do they prove Earth is billions of years old? Answer
- Is the Bible clear about the age of Earth and universe? Answer