ChristianAnswers.Net WebBible Encyclopedia
The dissolution of the marriage tie was regulated by the Mosaic law (Deuteronomy 24:1-4).
The Jews, after the Captivity, were required to dismiss the foreign women they had married contrary to the law (Ezra 10:11-19).
Christ limited the permission of divorce to the single case of adultery. It seems that it was not uncommon for the Jews at that time to dissolve the union on very slight pretences (Matthew 5:31,32; 19:1-9; Mark 10:2-12; Luke 16:18). The precepts given by Christ regulate the law of divorce in the Christian Church.
- DIVORCE AND REMARRIAGE—Under what conditions may Christians divorce and remarry? Answer
- What does it mean to be “the husband of one wife”? Answer
- TRUE LOVE—What is true love and how do you know when you have found it? Answer
- Is formalized marriage becoming obsolete? Answer
- Learn how to make your love the best it can be. Discover biblical answers to questions about sex, marriage, sexual addictions, and more.